PREVENTION OF CRIME
• Surveillance on criminals.
• Monitoring of records.
• Beat patrolling, mobile and foot patrolling, surprise checks (Naka Bandis), combing operations and raids.
• Participative policing at macro and micro level through Mohalla Committees (system of neighborhood watch). Active involvement of NGOs.
• System of preventive action under the Criminal Procedure Code, Bombay Police Act, and other preventive legislations; special care is taken of juvenile offenders and atrocities against weaker sections, through specialized cells.
DETECTION OF CRIME
• Investigation and prosecution of offenders
MAINTENANCE OF PUBLIC ORDER
• Maintenance of law and order during festivals, elections, communal and social disturbances, natural calamities.
• Maintenance of Internal Security: VIP security and counter espionage.
• Special Crime: White collar crime, check on drug abuse, extortion by gangsters, control over smuggling of arms, check on gang activities.
• Enquiring into non-cognizable cases, accidental deaths, accidental fires, etc.
• Enquiring about missing persons.
• Registration of foreign nationals and related enquiries.
• Escorting the treasury, prisoners, juvenile offenders, run-away girls.
• Verification of character, antecedents and records for issuance of passports, arms licenses and other licenses, for government employment, domestic servants whenever required, etc.