General FAQs

General FAQs

Can a common citizen meet the S.P., Kolhapur ?

Anybody can meet SP during the visiting hours from 4pm to 5pm on all working days.

Crime Branch

What do I need to do to report a robbery?

Call telephone number 100 or Contact the nearest Police Station. Rush to the nearest Police Party or Checkpoint.

How do I safely volunteer for an Accident ?

Take the victim to the nearest hospital. Inform the police the numbers of the vehicles involved in it. Do not hesitate. You will be treated as a 'Police Friend'.

Does the Police have a Night Patrol ?

Yes. Each of the 33 Police Stations has a Police Vehicle. For immediate action in emergencies call telephone numbers 100 Control Room at 33 mobiles are detailed for additional patrolling (called as second mobile) Four ACP in two mobiles One DCP for city patrol.

Where do I get information on Kolhapur Parking Rules ?

Traffic Control Branch - SP Office, Bavda Road, Kolhapur .In any Divisional Office of the Traffic branch.

Arrest and Bail

What is 'Arrest'?

As per Ballentine's Law Dictionary 1948 Ed.P.105, arrest means the taking, seizing, or detaining of the person of another, either by touching, or putting hands on him, or by any act which indicates an intention to take him into custody, and subjects the person arrested to the actual control and will of the person making the arrest. Chapter V and section 41 to 59 of Criminal Procedure Code 1973, deals with Arrest of Persons.
As per section 41 (1) Cr.P.C, any police officer may, without an order from a Magistrate and without a warrant, arrest any person,
  1. who has been concerned in any cognizable offence, or a reasonable complaint has been made, or credible information has been received or a reasonable suspicion exists;or
  2. who has in his possession of any implement of house breaking; or (c) who has been proclaimed as an offender or
  3. in whose possession anything is found which may reasonably be suspected to be stolen property; or
  4. who obstructs a police officer while in the execution of his duty, or who has escaped, or attempts to escape, from lawful custody;
  5. reasonably suspected of being a deserter from any of the Armed Forces. As per section 42 of Cr.P.C., any person who, in the presence of a police officer, has committed or has been accused of committing a non-cognizable offence, refuses on demand of such officer to give his name and residence, can be arrested. As per section 50 of Cr.P.C., person arrested without warrant has to be informed about the grounds of his arrest and about his entitlement regarding bail. As per section 53 of Cr.P.C., when a person is arrested and if there are reasonable grounds for believing that an examination of his person will afford evidence as to the commission of an offence, it shall be lawful for a registered medical practitioner, acting at the request of a police officer not below the rank of sub-inspector (and for any person acting in good faith in his aid and his direction), to make such an examination of a person arrested as is reasonably necessary, and to use such force as is reasonably necessary for that purpose. When a person of a female is to be examined under this section, the examination shall be made only by, or under the supervision of, a female registered medical practitioner. As per section 56 of Cr.P.C., A police officer making an arrest without warrant shall, without unnecessary delay and subject to the provisions herein contained as to bail, take or send the person arrested before a Magistrate having jurisdiction in the case or before the officer in-charge of a police station. As per section 57 of Cr.P.C., No police officer shall detain in custody a person arrested without warrant for a longer period than under all the circumstances of the case is reasonable, and such period shall not, in the absence of a special order of a Magistrate under section 167, exceed 24 hours exclusive of the time necessary for the journey from the place of arrest to the Magistrate's Court. As per section 151 of Cr.P.C., a person can also be arrested to prevent commission of cognizable offences.

What is meant by "Bailable / Non-bailable offences"?

Under the Code of Criminal Procedure 1973 (first shedule), offences have been classified as ‘bailable’ and ‘non-bailable’ offences. In the case of bailable offences, it is binding upon the investigating officer to grant bail. However, in case of a non-bailable offence, the police cannot grant bail and bail can be granted by a Judicial Magistrate/Judge only. In case of bailable offences, if the accused produces proper surety, and fulfills other conditions, it is binding upon the Investigating officer to grant bail. In the case of a non-bailable offence, the Investigating Officer must produce the accused before the Judicial Magistrate / Judge concerned within 24 hours of his arrest. At that time, the accused has a right to apply for bail.

Externment & Preventive Detention

What is meant by externment?

As per section 55 of Bombay Police Act, 1951, if the movement or encampment of any gang or body of persons is causing or is calculated to cause danger or alarm or reasonable suspicion that unlawful designs are entertained by such gang, or by members thereof, then such gangs/ bodies of persons can be dispersed and ordered that they remove themselves outside the area. This is process is called externment of gangs and Sub Divisional Magistrates in Districts and DCPs in Commissionerates are empowered to pass such orders. Similarly, section 56 of Bombay Police Act, 1951 empowers the above named authorities to extern persons engaged in or about to be engaged in offences punishable under Ch XII - XVI – XVII I.P.C. .(for details, please refer sections 55-56 of Bombay Police Act, 1951 )

What is preventive detention?

When the executive officers charged with responsibility of maintaining law and order / Public order in their jurisdictions have reasons to believe that activities/ movements of a person are detrimental / prejudicial to maintaining public tranquility and smooth flow of life, such authorities (C.P./D.M.) may authorize and order such a person to be detained under the various preventive detention laws.

What are the executive powers (of CP/DM & other empowered officials) to prohibit certain acts for prevention of disorder?

The commissioner of Police and the District Magistrate in areas under their respective charges may issue order in writing u/s 37 (3) of Bombay Police Act, 1951 for prohibiting any assembly or procession whenever and for so long as it consider such prohibition necessary for preservation of the public order. Such written order can also be issued for prohibiting the carrying of arms, swords, spears, guns, knives, sticks or lathis, or any other article, which is capable of being used for causing physical violence.

Prohibitory Orders

What is meant by Prohibitory Orders?

Prohibitory Orders refer to orders issued by competent authorities prohibiting certain things under various Acts viz,, Bombay Police Act, 1951, Cr.P.C. etc. Prohibitory Orders are issued by C.P. / D.M. under section 37 of B. P. Act 1951. Such orders are valid for a term of 15 days (at a time) and are renewed by the competent issuing authorities from time to time. Prohibitory orders under section 37 referred to above are issued to prohibit :
  1. assembly of 5 or more persons
  2. Processions of any kind
  3. Use of loudspeakers, amplifying instruments, musical band and bursting of crackers
  4. Carrying of arms, cudgels, sticks or lathis, swords, spears, knives, unlicenced guns or any other articles capable of being used for causing physical harm or violence
  5. Carrying of any corrosive substance or explosive, or carrying or colleting projectlites like stones or other instrument which can be used to cause harm or violence
  6. Exhibition of effigies, corpses, or figures/figurines, public utterances / loud cries, singing of songs, playing of music,delivery of harangues, use of gestures or mimetic representation, exhibition or dessimination of pictures, symbols,placards or any other objects / things that may, in the opinion of any police, offend decency/morality or undermine the security of, or tend to overthrow the State

What is the penality for contravention / breach of prohibitory orders under section 37 B.P. Act 1951?

Section 135 of B.P. Act 1951 provides for penal action for such contravention.


What is a Passport?

"Passport" is an official document, issued by competent authority on behalf of a sovereign nation state, certifying the holders identity and nationality, & authorizing the holder to travel abroad.

Q. Where is the passport application form available??

Passport application forms are available at Regional Passport Offices. They are also available at

What are the fees for issuing a passport ?

  1. Fresh Passport ( 36 pages ) of 10 years validity- Rs. 1,000.
  2. Fresh Passport ( 60 pages ) of 10 years validity - Rs. 1,500.
  3. Fresh Passport for Minors ( Below 15 years of Age ) of 5 years validity - Rs.600 (Cash either by Bank Draft in favour of the Passport Office or in Cash. In case of D.D. full name of the applicant and application number to be written on the reverse of the draft.)

What is the procedure if the passport is lost? ?

A complaint should be lodged with the concerned local police station and thereafter, an application for a new passport should be submitted.

How many days are required for police verification?

The verification procedure takes about 3 weeks from the receipt of the application

What are the documents required to apply for a passport?

Attach two copies of the following documents:
  1. Applicant's Ration Card or any of the following documents. a) Telephone Bill. b) Electricity Bill. c) Bank Account Passbook. d) Election Card. e) Letter from the Society on letterhead. f) NOC from the department if applicant is a Government servant.
  2. Proof of date of birth : School leaving certificate / Birth certificate.
  3. Citizenship documents (If applicant is citizen of India by registration or naturalization).
  4. If the applicant does not reside at the present address for the last one year, an additional set of personal particulars form for each additional place of residence is required.
  5. Colour Photographs (frontal view).
  6. Two photographs are required for verification at the local police station.

What is the procedure if the applicant is minor?

Attach following additional documents :-
  1. Affidavit by legal guardian (if parents are not legal guardians).
  2. Affidavit by two responsible persons who know the legal guardian as well as the minor.
  3. Attested photocopy of passport if any, of both parents, incorporating their present marital status.

What is procedure for change of name after marriage / divorce?

  1. A woman applying for the first time for a passport in her married name or for change of name/surname in the existing passport on account of marriage should furnish: i) A photocopy of the husband's passport (if issued to him). ii) An attested copy of the marriage certificate issued by Registrar of Marriages or an affidavit from the husband and wife along with a joint photograph.
  2. Divorcees applying for change of name or deletion of spouse's name in existing passport must furnish: i) Divorce deed / Order of family court. ii) Affidavit furnishing details about divorce.
  3. Re-married applicants applying for a change of name/spouse's name should furnish: i) Divorce/death certificate as the case may be in respect of first spouse, and ii) Documents as (a) above relating to second marriage.

List of applicants entitled to Emigration Check Not Required stamp (E.C.N.R.)

  1. People going abroad in managerial capacity and possessing specialized degrees in their respective fields.
  2. All Gazetted Government servants.
  3. All Income-Tax payers (including Agricultural Income-Tax Payees) in their individual capacity. I.T. assessment orders issued by Income-Tax Dept. for last three years be submitted along with application for passport. If assessment order is not issued, copies of Income Tax Return stamped by Income Tax authority can be accepted.
  4. All professional degree holders, such as doctors holding M.B.B.S. degree in Ayurveda or Homoeopathy, accredited Journalists, Engineers, Chartered Accountants, Cost Accountants, Lecturers, Teachers, Scientists, Advocates etc.
  5. Spouses and dependent children up to the age of 24 years are listed from (b) to (d).
  6. All persons who have been staying abroad for more than 3 years
  7. Seamen who are in possession of CDC or C cadets.
  8. All holders of Diplomatic/Official passports.
  9. Dependent children of parents whose passports are classified as E.C.N.R. until they attain 24 years of age.
  10. Persons holding permanent Immigrant Visas.
  11. Persons holding Graduate or higher degrees.
  12. Persons holding 3 years diploma equivalent to degrees.
  13. Nurses possessing qualifications recognized under the Indian Nursing Council Act-1947.
  14. All persons above the age of 60 years Note- No emigration clearance is required for visiting Bangladesh, Pakistan and all countries of Europe (Excluding C.I.S. States ), North America, Australia, Japan and New Zealand.
  15. No emigration clearance is required for persons possessing certificate of Vocational Training from the Government/ Government recognized institutions.

What is a VISA?

VISA refers to an endorsement (writing or branding) on the passport, made by competent authority of a nation State, allowing entry to the passport holder into another country. VISA is necessary for entry into another country.

Do I need permission for using loud speakers?

VISA refers to an endorsement (writing or branding) on the passport, made by competent authority of a nation State, allowing entry to the passport holder into another country. VISA is necessary for entry into another country.

Use of loudspeaker at public meetings / processions

Do I need permission for using loud speakers?

Yes. You should obtain permission from concerned C.P/ S.P./ District Magistrate for sound amplification under rules made under sec 33 of B.P.Act, 1951. Such a permission is required to be taken for private/ public functions held in private / public places.

Do I need licence for public show of cinema?

Yes. You have to obtain a temporary performance licence from concerned licensing authority (C.P./D.M.).

Do I need licence/ permission for dramatic/ mimetic/ musical performances?

Yes. You have to obtain a temporary performance/premises licence from concerned licensing authority (C.P./D.M.)

Do I need to take permission for organizing a morcha/ dharna/ public meeting or rally?

Yes. You need to take permission for taking out a morcha/ dharna/ organising public meeting or rallies from concerned Commissioner of Police or District Magistrate.

Do I need licence for public show of cinema?

Yes. You need to take permission for taking out a morcha/ dharna/ organising public meeting or rallies from concerned Commissioner of Police or District Magistrate.

What is Noise Pollution?

Noise pollution means the disturbance produced in environment by undesirable sounds of various kinds.

What are the ill-effects of noise pollution?

  1. Noise as nuisance and health hazard to human beings and other living things
  2. Hearing loss
  3. Interference with communication
  4. Disturbance of sleep
  5. Annoyance
  6. Adverse effect on performance
  7. Physiological effects
  8. Accentuated effects on urban children, sick & elderly people under recuperation.

Restrictions / limits of noise level : (Timings etc.)

Noise level in a public place shall not exceed 10 dB(A) above the ambient noise standard for the area or 75bB(A) whichever is lower. No horn should be allowed to be used at night (between 10.00 p.m. and 06.00 a.m.) in residential area except in exceptional circumstances. Crackers should not be burst between the above mentioned time slot.

Hotel Licence

Is a Police licence required for Hotels, Restaurant, Eating House, Tea Stall, Juice Center etc.?

Yes. Certificate of Registration from concerned Divisional Assistant Commissioner of Police.

From where the Registration Certificate is issued?

An application should be submitted to the concerned Divisional Assistant Commissioner of Police for obtaining Registration Certificate.

What is the fee for obtaining a Registration Certificate?

Rs.75/-. This is to be renewed every year on 1st January.

Is it necessary to obtain a licence from the Excise Department first and then from Police?

In order to conduct permit room one has to obtain either FL-III / Form-E from Excise Department and then P.P.E.L. from Police Department.

What kind of licences are given to Hotels from Police Department?

For Hotels without liquor- Registration Certificate from Divisional ACPs For Hotels serving liquor - P.P.E.L. (Place of Public Entertainment Licence) of Class “A” For Hotels with Guest House facility - P.P.E.L. (Place of Public Entertainment Licence) of Class “B” For Hotels with Amusement - P.L. (Premises Licence) as well as Performance Licence.

Where is the Police Licence available?

For Hotels without liquor- Registration Certificate from Divisional ACPs Licences issued by the Police Headquarter - For Hotels serving liquor - P.P.E.L. (Place of Public Entertainment Licence) of Class “A” For Hotels with Guest House facility - P.P.E.L. (Place of Public Entertainment Licence) of Class “B” For Hotels with Amusement - P.L. (Premises Licence) as well as Performance Licence.

What kind of a licence is required for a permit room?

P.P.E.L. Class A (Place of Public Entertainment Licence) is required. P.P.E.L. is to be renewed every year in the month of April with appropriate fee.

What kind of Licence is issued for a guest-house/ lodge?

P.P.E.L. Class B (Place of Public Entertainment Licence) is required. P.P.E.L. is to be renewed every year in the month of April with appropriate fee.

What is FL-III and FL-IV and how it is obtained?

These licences are issued by the Excise Department.